Tuesday 12 February 2013

Scale Adjustment

The Original Dimensions

I started off with a 34x24x10ft room (length, width, height) in the beginning but as the blockout went on I must have made a few changes without realising which lead to it being 34x25x13 in the end. I only noticed this went I went back into 3DS Max to begin making the walls, floor and ceiling.


Due to my plan to use modular assets throughout my environment I had to ensure that my environment was a certain set of dimensions so that these modular assets could lock into place correctly and snap together using the grid within UDK.

I set out to do some further tests with blockouts to find out the right scale for the environment as well as to find out a good balance for the best fit for my modular assets.

Further Blockouts

I sat down with my notepad and began drawing out some grids representing the floor tiles. Once I had a few combinations jotted down I tested them out by doing a quick model of the floor, walls and ceiling before throwing it over to UDK to have a walk around and get a feel for the size. I also imported the original blockout's desks and sofa to help get a better idea of the scale and eventually settled on 24x44x10.  
  
I know now that this wasn't the correct grid size and have recently changed it to 48x24x12 which has enabled me to use just the one modular wall at 12x12 - it is easy to see why having a square modular piece is beneficial to the original. However I'll go into detail on this in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment